Saturday 4 April 2015

Camping set review

Camping set by My Life As.  The set is really cute, overall. Tent assembles easily and a child might require a bit of help setting it up (depending on the level of camping experience of said child).  Said tent assembles like a standard dome tent - slide the 2 lengths of pole through the tunnels. Since it's made of pink gauzy fabric, kind of hard to take pictures of the girls inside but they are enjoying it!  The tent also holds 2 of these folding slumber lounge/chairs in the folded up chair position.



Beau: "Mom, put the camera away. Leo and I are trying to do our homework!"
Leo: "Yea! We are just about done our keyboarding drills."
Me: "Looks like you are having too much fun in there..."
Beau: "That's because we are so happy you got us this awesome tent to play in!"

Whole set pictured (with Tutu for scale - glasses on the cooler were not included with the set, neither is the small orange box the lantern is resting on)

Chair is cute but does not fold up. At all. Also dolls seem to sit somewhat precariously in it. 


Fireplace is kind of meh. I have plans to make this look better (plan on adding some more 'flames' out of coloured plastic or similar). Looks very obviously like glops of plastic.

Cooler is adorable and opens. I love that the lid has spots in it to hold glasses (just like a real cooler!)

Lantern is adorable and does light up - as long as the button is being pushed and held down (I can see this being a problem for photoshoots).

Overall grade: B. I deducted points for the non-folding "folding" chair, the lantern that requires fiddling to have it light up (and stay lit up) and the crappy fake-looking fire.

I will probably at some point replace the folding chair and make a second one so that both the girls can sit at the same time. Still, it is cute and I'm not sorry I got it with some of my birthday money.

3 comments:

  1. Are the folding chair/beds the ones Maplelea make? They look pretty nice. Great review on the tent, you had all the same likes and complaints I did. Overall I think it's a great value, but that "folding" chair was a complete let down for me, I also had issues with keeping a doll in it. Luckily I have a set of older Battat/Our Generation ones to use with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the folding chair/beds are from Maplelea. Since they do flat-rate shipping in Canada, when I ordered Leonie I got two beds at the same time. They are really nice and versatile, especially since I have limited space for the girls (right now they live on our coffee table while they await a permanent habitat).

      and yea, I am not super happy with either the chair or the 'firepit'. Have seen instructions online on how to make camping chairs out of cloth and PVC tubing, so may have to go that route for my girls

      Delete
    2. The dishes I have are these ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Girl-sized-dishes-4-Plates-4-cups-and-Silverware-1-serving-dish-/181698607770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4e14ba9a. She has since added more patterns since I got my set (would rather have pink flowers than yellow ones)

      Delete